Title: Vice President of Operations and Finance
Position: Full Time
Reports To: President of Harness
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: The annual salary will be $115,000-$135,000
Start Date: As soon as filled
Work Location: Remote, but candidates based in NY or California are preferred
Required Travel: Approximately 5% for programs and staff retreats
Founded by America Ferrera, Wilmer Valderrama, and Ryan Piers Williams following the 2016 presidential election, Harness is a community of activists, artists, and leaders who believe that storytelling shapes our world. We convene to envision and amplify the stories that define a more just future. We create that future through our art, influence, and actions.
Since its founding, Harness has grown into a national, intersectional community of high-influence artists, activists, and entertainment and media industry leaders that advance the priorities, and amplify the stories, of historically disinvested communities to work towards a more liberated future. Learn more at www.iwillharness.com.
Overview of Role
The Vice President (VP) of Operations and Finance is a new position that will lead the strategy and oversight of all aspects of operations and financial management for a national nonprofit organization. The VP will be part of the senior leadership team along with the President and VP of Development. They will manage a lean operations team with an Operations Manager and consultants. This is an exciting senior leadership opportunity for a systems thinker who thrives on creating and managing efficient processes and policies that drive impact and foster a harmonious organizational culture. You will be joining a small, multidisciplinary, passionate, and fun-loving team.
General responsibilities across workstreams will include:
- Develop, improve and implement operational workplans to advance organizational goals;
- Areas of responsibility (as detailed further below) include financial management, human resources, internal operations and technology, nonprofit compliance, legal, impact evaluation, internal communications and workflows, staff learning and development;
- Establish, maintain and improve internal systems, workflows and policies to create efficiencies, innovation and ease for staff and other stakeholders;
- Analyze information and implement strategies to solve organizational problems;
- Supervise Operations Manager and operations consultants; and
- Stay abreast of relevant trends, best practices, new technologies, and current issues within areas of responsibility.
The VP will manage and oversee the following areas of responsibility.
Internal Operations and Technology
- Administration of a remote office with staff working in various states
- Digital security, technology tools and systems, and communication between systems
- Salesforce management and oversight
- Consultant and vendor contract development and management
- 501c3 compliance
- Liaison to Harness board for financial matters
- Manage annual budgeting process
- Organizational budget tracking and financial reconciliation
- Manage accountants and auditor
- Compliance, including annual audit, preparation of Form 990, and regulatory filings
Human Resources and Culture
- Ensure human resource policies and processes reflect industry standards and advance organizational values
- Policies and norms to advance professional growth, development
- Standardize company culture, including performance reviews
- Produce staff retreats
- Manage hiring and onboarding of personnel
- Point person for Harness’s professional employment organization
Learning and Evaluation
- Initiate and manage creation of evaluation processes to track impact and foster internal learning, including hire and manage evaluation consultants, implement evaluation processes, train team, etc.; and
- Create mechanisms and serve as a channel to solicit and respond to internal and external stakeholders
- Operational support for programs and gatherings, such as contracts, financial management, venues, travel, production, etc.
Other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years of related experience in an administrative or operations role
- Demonstrates alignment with Harness mission
- Highly organized with a meticulous attention to detail
- Track record of building efficient systems and processes.
- Translates strategic thinking into action plans and output. Drives results.
- Strong time and people management skills, including demonstrated ability to think independently.
- Comfortable with evolving and emergent work
- Excellent verbal communication skills, great with relationship management across teams and partners, and strong, versatile writing skills.
- Proficient with Salesforce, G-Suite, Asana, and Slack
- Work or volunteer experience in the nonprofit sector, social movements, politics and/or media and entertainment industry
- Experience leading diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
What we offer you in return and why you would love being a part of our team!
- Generous virtual office budget which includes support for home office equipment, cell phone, and internet monthly stipend.
- Competitive paid time-off and benefits, including 100% paid Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance and 401k match.
- Learning and growth opportunities
- Fun and collaborative team environment
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position.
The annual salary will be $115,000-$135,000. The final pay offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and years of experience within a relevant role, industry, and education.
Provided they meet all eligibility requirements under the applicable plan documents, employees (and their families) will be offered medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees also will be able to enroll in our company’s 401k plan, provided they meet plan requirements. Employees will also accrue 1.25 days of vacation leave every month, as well as three days of paid sick leave per year. Employees will also enjoy ten (10) paid holidays throughout the calendar year. Eligibility requirements for these benefits will be controlled by applicable plan documents and organization policies.
This is intended to provide a general description of benefits and other compensation and is not a substitute for applicable plan documents or company policies.
Harness is committed to fostering and maintaining a work environment where diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) are fully integrated into everything we do. Harness provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
How to Apply
Please send a resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis until it is filled, but preference will be given to those who apply by May 31, 2023.